Tuesday, April 13, 2010

formative assessments

Through my PLC and the training we have received all year on formative and summative assessments, I have worked on formulating a way to assess listening skills of my students. Where were they at the beginning of the year and do they make progress by the end of the year. I assess their progress at the end of each quarter and work toward their improvement during each quarter. The tools we are learning today will give me a tool to give the students feedback about their progress. To date, I have just kept their results in excell and have analyzed them on my own. It will be very helpful for me to have graphs to show them their individual progress vs the class progress.

3 comments:

tech guy said...

Formative assessment experts agree with you....bringing your students into the process (data/growth tracking) is huge. It fosters ownership and give the kids a sense of accomplishment....I'm doing this work and it really is paying off.

Some people will even help the students keep a version of the growth graph for themselves.

Unknown said...

I'd really like to see step-by-step how you're doing this and how you analyze the graphs with them. Or do they do it on their own? (you teach high school age students, so are they able to make the connection?) Do they get a comparative view so that they can see how they stand with their cohorts?

Mme. Mustard said...

I created the rubric, now for grading an assessment using it. I will bring the rubric to show you, and send the file to you also.